What is the If / Else Stage?
Think of the If/Else Stage as a checkpoint for your Contact when they are moving through your workflow.
When they hit this checkpoint, you'll ask a question - Does this Contact match this Filter?
If the answer is yes, the Contact will move down a specific path. If the answer is no, then they'll move down another path.
In the above example, a Contact will hit an If/Else stage in my workflow. If the answer to the question is Yes, they'll be delayed for 5 hours before moving on to the next step. If the answer is no, they'll be automatically sent an email straight away.
How to Add an If / Else Stage
Click on the Add a Stage button
Ensure that the If / Else section in the sidebar is selected > Click Add
How to Choose Your If/Else Stage Question
Once you click Add, you'll be taken to a Filter screen that let's you choose your question. Your question can be made up of as many Filters as you like!
Choose your Filter
The first thing you'll need to do is choose the information that you'd like to use to ask the question -
Is this Contact's Email Subscription Status "Opted-In"?
Has this Contact made a donation in 2021?
Does this Contact have a specific value populated in their Custom Field?
1. Filter Condition - Let Keela know if the Contact needs to match ALL of the filters that you select here or ANY of them (ie. at least one).
2. Filters - We've organized our Filters into 9 different categories - clicking on the dropdown category titles will expand them so that you can see all of the filters that are available. Alternatively, type your Filter straight into the box if you know what you're looking for!
- Contacts - These filters look at personal information on a Contacts profile (ie. Custom Fields, Subscription Status, Birthday, Tag)
- Fundraising Transactions - This looks at transaction information for both Donation and Revenue payments (ie. Amount, Date, Payment Method)
- Donation Transactions - This looks at transaction information for only Donation payments (ie. Amount, Gift Type, Has a receipt issued)
- Revenue Transactions - This looks at transaction information for only Revenue payments (ie. Amount, Category, Has a receipt issued)
- Donation Subscriptions - This looks at the transaction information for Recurring Donation payments (ie. Amount, Frequency, Status)
- Membership Subscriptions - This looks at the membership and transaction information for Memberships (ie. Plan Name, Auto-Renew, Expiration Date)
- Volunteer Records - This looks at the volunteer activity records of your contacts (ie. Start Date, Hours, Impact Area)
- Pledges - This looks at the information related to any Pledges in your account (ie. Campaign, Deadline, Status)
- All Interactions - This looks at the information related to any Interactions on your Contacts' profiles (ie. Subject, Type, Date)
Select your Filter from the drop down list
Choose your filter logic > Select the value that you would like to be held within that field
In the above example I'm wanting my checkpoint to ask if a Contact's email subscription is set to Opted in.
- Filter = Email Subscription Status
- Filter logic = Contains any of (ie. The Email Subscription field must contain any of these values
- Field value/s = Opted In
Choose Your Next Stage
Once you've added your If/Else Stage, you'll need to tell Keela what should happen next.
Click on the plus sides beneath Yes and No to add the next Stage.
Well, it's up to you! If you like, you can learn about the next Stage Type at our Wait for Trigger Stage article.
Alternatively, if you've already added your Stages or you'd just like to see what the next step is, check out our Making Changes on the Settings Tab article.