Now that you've got a good understanding of the three types of receipts that you can send out from your Keela account, let's get them set up!
Creating Receipts for the First Time
To create your receipts, navigate to Organization Settings > Click on the Receipts & Emails Tab > Click the "Setup Donation & Revenue Receipts"
Because this is your first time setting up receipts, a pop-up window will appear that will allow you to enter some information about your organization.
Fill in each field with the relevant information > Click Save
Receipt Details Explained
There's a couple of different fields in the pop-up window so we've included some definitions here, just in case!
- Legal Name - This is the name that your organization is registered under
- Charitable Status - This is the official designation of your organization's registration as a nonprofit, charity etc. This status will be automatically reflected in some settings in your Keela account
- Federal Tax ID/Charitable Registration Number/ABN/IRD etc - This is the official registration number of your organization and will automatically change to the relevant field when you select your Charitable Status
- Legal Terms Check Box - Please take a moment to read the legal terms for your Charitable Status and tick this box once you have finished
- Legal Address - This is the address that your organization is registered at - it will be used to populate this field in your Receipts
- Encrypt Receipts toggle - This will turn on automatic password encryption for your receipts (jump down to learn more)
- Disable Editing toggle - This will turn on automatic password encryption for the editing of your receipts (jump down to learn more)
- Receipt Appendix toggle - This will turn on automatic population of receipt appendices on your receipts (jump down to learn more)
- Signature - This should be a PNG of the signature of the team member who signs your donation receipts
- Signee - This is the name of the team member whose signature you are using above
- Include letter content toggle - This option allows you to add a thank you page to your Receipt PDF (2 pages). (jump below to learn more and read our suggestions!)
*Display receipt in both English & French - This toggle allows you to convert your receipt to have both French and English in it. It will appear in this list if the Charitable Status is Canadian.
Note: This information will be used to populate bits and pieces of all of your receipts (Donation, Revenue or Membership Revenue Receipts)
Edit your Receipt Details
You can make changes to the organization information that appears on your Receipts at any time once you've created it.
Click on the Edit button next to Receipt Details.
Tip: Jump up to Receipt Details Explained for more information on the fields that you can edit on your Receipt.
Preview your Receipt Details
The Preview will display a Donation Receipt only. Rest assured that your Revenue Receipt (used for Revenue payments and Membership payments) will be formatted exactly the same but there will be no reference to donations on it.
Customize the Logo and Header
Click on the Edit icon to adjust your Logo and Header.
This is the Logo that will appear on all of your Receipts. By default, Keela will pull your Logo from your Account Profile for the receipt. If you’d like to use another Logo or customize the sizing, you can upload a new Logo.
Recommended Dimensions - 108px by 108px maximum.
Header Background Image
This is the Header that will appear on all of your Receipts. Get creative by adding a banner image or changing the Header color!
- Height: 104-128px
- Width: 566-703px
Receipt Details FAQ
We've compiled some frequently asked questions that relate specifically to the above information. Head over here for more general Receipt FAQs.
(3) No Charitable Registration Number / Federal Tax ID etc
I am waiting for our organization's Charitable Registration Number/ Federal Tax ID but would like to get started on setting up the receipts. Can I move forward without providing this number?
Great question! We recommend selecting the Charitable Status "Other non-Profit/Non-Registered Organization" which does not require a charitable registration number. With this status, only transaction receipts will be generated for donations. Don't forget to update this status when you do receive your charitable registration number, so you can issue charitable receipts for donations!
(6) Encrypt Receipts
What does the "Encrypt receipts with contact specific password" toggle do?
If toggled on, all of your receipts will have password protection automatically added to them when they are created. You will need to provide the password to the Contact in a separate email from the receipt.
(7) Disable Editing on Receipts
What does the "Disable editing receipt pdf file using master password" toggle do?
If toggled on, all of your receipts will be password protected from editing in Adobe. The master password is for your organization only and should not be given out to contacts.
(8) Receipt Appendix
What does the "Include individual transaction details as receipt appendix" toggle do?
If toggled on, all of your receipts will contain a receipt appendix. This will add a new page to your cumulative receipts that includes the following information for each transaction:
- Transaction Date
- Transaction Amount
- Transaction ID
Here's an example of how this will look:
(11) Include Letter Content as the First Page
What does the "Include letter content as the first page in receipt" check box do?
By default, all Receipts will be created as a single page in a PDF format. If this box is checked, your Receipt will be updated to consist of two pages:
- Page 1 - A customized letter (that you will be prompted to populate and customize when the box is checked).
- Page 2 - The Receipt
In the next step, you'll learn all about Acknowledgement Letters and how you can use them to create and customize an official thank you letter or email that you can include with your receipt automatically. This checkbox allows you to always accompany receipts with a customized letter.
When to check this:
- If you would like every receipt created in your Keela account to always be accompanied with the same thank you letter combined in a single PDF document
- If you don't plan on emailing out receipts (and therefore won't be using the Acknowledgement Letters in the next steps)
When should I not check this:
- If you would like to keep your receipts to one page (less printing costs!)
- If you plan on emailing out some or all of your receipts
If you're not quite sure, leave it unchecked - you'll be deep diving into official Acknowledgement Letters next anyway and you can always come back here and check this if you change your mind!
**Please note that SmartCodes are not compatible in the Receipt Details. However, they can be used within our Acknowledgement Letters.
Revenue/Membership Receipt Preview
I noticed there is no preview for a Transaction Receipt (revenue or membership). Can you please provide an example of this receipt?
Absolutely! Please see below for an example.
Now that you've got your Receipt Details updated, let's check out the next step - Acknowledgement Letters!