You've been invited to complete the great migration to our new system, Keela 2.0 - Congratulations!
Keela 2.0 was built with the needs of our customers and other non-profits in mind. We built this system from the ground up by listening to your feedback and combining this with industry best practices and beyond, to ensure we can provide every non-profit an affordable, yet powerful tool, to take their organizations to the next level.
Although the two systems are quite similar, we've made a number of improvements, to ensure we can continue to provide the best service possible. We know change can be scary sometimes, so we've outlined the major changes below and everything you need to know, so you and your organization know exactly what to expect during this transition. If you have any questions about any of the changes, just let us know and we'd be happy to help. So far, everyone that's migrated is loving the new system and features - we are confident you will as well!
Things to Know Before You Migrate
Some things have changed, some things have been removed and a whole bunch of new things has been added! Please ensure that you and your team members have reviewed and understand the below information before confirming that you are ready to migrate.
Your pricing will not change
Your existing pricing will move over to the new system with you!
The previous system will be View Only
You'll be able to switch back and forth between the new system and the old one to double-check your information. However, once your migration is complete you will not be able to make changes to the data in the previous system - it will be view only.
The previous system will be available in a view-only format for a limited time. We will provide ample notice before we remove access.
Organizations will be converted to Company Records
One of the most unanimous pieces of feedback that we received from users of our previous system was that the management of Organizations and Individual people needed some love! We've completely revamped this so that Organizations are now managed as their own Company Records.
Individual Contacts can now be directly associated with Company Records - you can even see the total donations that have been made by all Individuals who are associated with Company Records!
Because of these new changes, all Organizations must have their own Contact record in the new system. The following scenarios will result in a Company Contact record being created.
Scenario 1 - An Organization Contact in Keela
- First and Last Name are Blank but the Organization Field is populated
- This record will be converted into a Company Contact record for Death Star Inc.
- Any Contacts who have Death Star Inc. in the Organization Field in the previous system will be automatically associated with this new Company Contact
Scenario 2 - A Contact is linked to an Organization in Keela
- First and Last Name are Populated and the Organization Field is populated
- A new Company Record will be created for Star Wars Industries (if an Organization Record already exists for Star Wars Industries, it will be converted following the process of Scenario 1)
- Any Contacts who have Star Wars Industries in the Organization Field in the previous system will be automatically associated with this new Company Contact
Are you more a visual learner? Check out our video explanation on this by clicking here!
Contacts may only be connected to a single Household
Many of you have been waiting patiently for increased capabilities when managing Households. Well, your wait is over! You can now view and manage interactions, donations, revenue payments, and even memberships at a Household-level.
In order to achieve these enhancements, it was necessary to remove the ability for a Contact to be connected to multiple Households. If you have a Contact in the previous system who is linked to multiple Households, multiple Contact records will be created for this individual in the newest system (one for each Household). We'll include instructions on how to merge these records together once you've decided which Household the Contact will be connected with.
New User Permission Levels
The user-level permissions in our previous system are quite different to the new ones we have in Keela but it's easy to understand once you get the hang of it. These are the important things to note:
- Users with Admin Permissions in the previous system will have Admin Permissions in the new system
- Users with Contributor Permissions in the previous system will have Coordinator Permissions in the new system
- All team members will be able to view all Campaigns and Projects (you will no longer need to invite a team member to see this).
- The CRM Permission level is being removed as it was too restricting and only allowed a user access to Keela's Project Tool. Users without CRM Permissions will be given Coordinator Permissions and be able to view Contact information. We recommend reviewing your Team Members and ensuring that you delete any of these users if you do not wish them to be moved to the new system.
A new way to manage Email Subscription Statuses
We have made a big changes to how your Contacts' email subscription statuses are managed in Keela.
Unsubscribed Tags and Smart Lists
Previously, a Contact could unsubscribe from a Smart List or a Tag as well as Globally Unsubscribing from all E-blasts. We have removed the ability to unsubscribe from Smart Lists (depreciated feature) and Tags altogether and replaced Global Subscription Status with new (more compliant and streamlined) subscription statuses.
Those Contacts who have unsubscribed from a Smart List or Tag will be automatically added to new Tags when they transition to the new system that outlines this. For example, "Unsubscribed - Donor" Tag. You can either:
(1) Opt-Out these Contacts from receiving E-blasts altogether (by updating their subscription status via an import)
(2) Exclude these Tags from your E-blast Recipient Segments
Globally Subscribed (1.0) => Unknown (2.0)
We have increased our GDPR compliance in the new system, so all contacts with the Globally Subscribed status in 1.0 will be transferred with an Unknown status in 2.0. You will still be able to send E-Blasts to these contacts, just be sure to check the option "Send to email addresses with unknown subscription status" in the To: section of your E-Blast.
If you prefer, you can also update these contacts to Opted-In (by updating their subscription status via an import)
E-blast Statistics from the previous system will no longer be updated
All of the E-blasts that you've sent will be brought over to the new system, along with their statistics! However, it will no longer be possible to update these E-blast statistics. For example, if a Contact clicks on an E-blast from the previous system that was sent a year ago (or just last week!), this click will not be updated in the new system.
E-blasts are no longer sent using Tags
In 1.0, E-blasts were sent using Tags. In Keela 2.0, E-blasts are sent using a new type of list called Segments! Don't worry, Tags still exist in Keela 2.0 and you can definitely still use your Tags to send E-blasts by creating a Segment using Tags!
E-Blast Drafts will be transferred
If you have any E-Blasts you're working on in 1.0, they will get transferred over. Just make sure you double-check them in the new system before sending as they may have adjusted slightly due to some of the new functionality.
Membership Start Date and Membership End Date will not be migrated
In the previous system, there were two fields held within the Contact's profile that looked at the historical membership dates of a Contact. These Membership Dates were different from the actual Membership subscriptions of a Contact, which were instead located on the Membership Tab. We have introduced many enhancements for the Membership feature (with lots to come!) and these dates no longer fit in with how we store information in Keela. If you would like to keep this information, it can be exported from the previous system and re-imported into the new one as a Custom Field. It's important to note that this data will be for historical purposes only and will not dynamically update when new Memberships are added to your new account.
Memberships will be created as Revenues
All memberships transactions in 1.0 will now have an associated Revenue record. This is important to note if you have been logging donation records with every Membership.
Note that we are releasing the ability for Memberships to be Donations for later on this year!
You will need to re-integrate some of our Integrations (if applicable)
You will need to set up some of your integrations again after your account has been migrated:
- SendGrid - Be sure to check in with the person who manages your domain settings to ensure that they are ready to edit your DNS settings again after you migrate (This integration allows Keela to send emails from your domain - @yourdomain.com).
- You will also need to reconnect SendGrid so any reply emails from 1.0 will be forwarded to the new system. For example, if a contact replies to an E-Blast you sent in 1.0, it will be routed to the 1.0 system, unless you reconnect SendGrid in 2.0.
- MailChimp - The new system allowed us to streamline how MailChimp sends us data. As a result, you will need to set up the integration.
- QuickBooks - You will need to reconnect your QuickBooks Online account with the new system. There are lots of new features!
You will need to recreate Smart Lists in 2.0 with our new Reporting Tool
We've done a complete overhaul of how reports are run in Keela! The Smart List tool has been replaced by two functions:
- Segments - a new way to create lists of Contacts by filtering them with pieces of information.
- Reports - quite similar to Smart Lists but with new filters and features!
Because these tools are completely brand new, you will need to recreate your Reports. Once created, you can easily save your Reports so that they can be accessed later. You will also have View Only access to the previous system so you can double-check what Reports you need later on.
Donation Sources can be found in the Keywords Field
You will notice in 1.0 that donations had a Source field that was auto-populated. For example, if someone donated through a form, the donation Source would display 'Online via Keela'. In Keela 2.0, the donation Sources from 1.0 transactions are now in the field 'Keywords' under transaction profiles.
Sources in 2.0 are not auto-populated as they were in 1.0. Instead, moving forward, you can tell that a donation was made through a form by looking at the 'Form' field of a transaction's profile. You can also only have one Source per donation, to ensure more enhanced reporting. Although Sources are not auto-populated as they were in 1.0, we wanted to save the 1.0 Source data, so we moved it into Keywords for your records.
Donations with a currency that is not your Organization's default currency will be converted
In the previous system, it was possible to log donations with multiple currencies that differed from the default currency of your Organization (determined in your Organization Settings). In the new system, we have made a bunch of new improvements to our Reporting tools: These new tools include:
In order for these new reports to function correctly, your donation data must be in the same currency (so that the values and totals we provide you are accurate!). If you have donations that are in a different currency in the 1.0 system, these will be automatically converted to your default currency when you move over and you'll be able to start getting the benefits of these reports straight away!
In the future, when logging donations, you'll have the option of storing the previous currency and the conversion rate of that currency on the donation itself. Learn more about how to log a donation record that was converted from another currency here.
Follow-ups will become To-dos.
In Keela 1.0, you were able to create follow-ups under Contact profiles. In 2.0, follow-ups have been renamed To-dos! When you migrate, all of your follow-ups will migrate over - you will be able to find them under the To-do's tab under the Contact's profile.
Features on their way for 2.0 (some already exist in 1.0)
The Keela system is being worked on every day! We've already had over 5 new releases since its official release date and there's lots more to come.
It was a huge project to build a new system for scratch, so we're still working away at some items that were in the previous system or were commonly requested.
We don't like surprises, so we've outlined some of those items below:
- Live chat with the Customer Success Team
- Exporting Report as a PDF (currently excel version available)
- Ability for contacts to unsubscribe to certain Tags (a new Email Lists feature is on its way to replace this old functionality)
- Ability to sort on Custom Fields in Contact Tables
- Ability to customize exports (will be available in the coming weeks)
- Ability to export form responses (will be available in the coming weeks)
- Ability to display the total amount raised for a Campaign on a Donation Form. At the moment, only the percentage raised will be shown.
- Updates to how Recurring Donations are managed in Keela (make changes without having to log them again!)
- Cumulative Donation reports for multiple Contacts
- And so much more......
You and your team members will receive an email each time one of these releases occurs with details on what's been added n the system.
Important Notice for Australian Customers
We have adjusted the dates for automated cumulative receipts from January - December to July - June, to better align with recommendations from the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission.
You will have two options when you migrate to the system to issue the outstanding receipts from January 1, 2020 - June 30, 2020:
(1) Issue a cumulative receipt manually for each contact; OR
(2) Request that your cumulative receipts be created automatically by Keela
NOTE: In most cases, your contacts would have received their automated receipts up until the end of December 2019. If there are any receipts that were not issued within the last fiscal year (July 2019 - June 2020) these will be included in the cumulative receipt issued automatically by Keela. Any transactions that have already been included in a cumulative receipt will NOT be included in option 1 and 2 outlined above.
If you do not action option 1 or 2, your contacts will receive two cumulative receipts after June 30, 2021:
(1) January 1, 2020 to June 30, 2020
(2) July 1, 2020 to June 30, 2021
Things to Do Before You Migrate
- Review (and possibly remove) Team Members who do not have CRM Permissions in Keela
- Ensure that you and/or your team members are comfortable with all of the information in this article
Things to Do After You Migrate
Spoilers! Check out our Welcome to Keela 2.0! article if you'd like to read about this. Make sure you put aside some time to complete these tasks. We'll do the bulk of the migration for you, but you'll still be responsible for a few items.
Ready to go?
Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Please confirm that you've read and understood this information and we'll migrate your account! Once we receive your email, we will wait for a time that no users are logged into the system and press the big red button! You and all your team members will receive an email confirming the update with the next steps.