For any revenues not received via a Keela Revenue Form, you can use the Fundraising feature in Keela to log a recurring revenue, process payments, and issue receipts.
A few examples of recurring revenues that you may want to log in Keela:
- You are moving from another platform and would like to log the recurring revenue in Keela going forward
- A contact calls with their credit card details and you need to process the payment and log the recurring revenue on their behalf
Need to log a single revenue? Not to worry, check out Log a Revenue Payment!
How to Log a Recurring Revenue
You can start a recurring revenue log via the Contact Profile or Fundraising menu:
(1) From the Contact Profile
Select the Contact from your Contact Screen > Select the Fundraising Tab and Scheduled Recurring.
If you've logged recurring revenues for this contact previously, you'll see a list of all transactions for that contact. Click Create New and Recurring Revenue at the top right of the summary.
If no recurring revenues were logged previously, the Add Recurring Revenue button will be in the middle of the screen as below:
(2) From the Fundraising menu
Select Fundraising in the left menu > click Scheduled Recurring > Create New > Other Recurring Revenue
Whether you choose to start the recurring revenue from the contact profile or the fundraising tab, a form will appear to add your recurring revenue info:
- Contact - The recurring revenue contact's name (this field will only appear when scheduling a recurring revenue from the Fundraising tab in the sidebar rather than the contacts profile).
- Category - Grant, Sponsorship, Purchase, or Other
- Total Amount - The value of the revenue received
- Payment Method - Cash, Cheque/Check, Credit Card, Online, Online via Stripe, Online via PayPal, Other
- Billing Cycle - The frequency of the revenue (ie. every 1 year or every 2 months)
- Receipt Setting - This allows you to select from three receipt options:
- Create a single receipt for each transaction
- Create a cumulative receipt at the end of the year
- Do not create automates receipts
- Was the transaction converted from a different currency? - Check if yes. More details on accepting revenues in a foreign currency here.
- Impact Area - If the contact made a revenue towards any Impact Areas, select the impact area.
- Campaign - If the revenue was made in response to or in connection with a campaign, select the campaign.
- Soft Credit - If the contact who made the revenue contributed in response to the efforts or influence of someone else, you can soft credit the revenue to a contact in Keela, to acknowledge their role in the revenue.
- Source - Select a source if the contact who made the revenue came from a certain source (e.g. online via Keela, a corporation, from a fundraiser, etc.).
- Keywords - Any keyword related to the revenue for reporting.
- Notes - Additional notes for the revenue.
Click Save which will create a DRAFT recurring revenue record in Keela.
Activate a Recurring Revenue
Select the Draft Revenue record and review the information to ensure everything is correct. If you need to make any changes, just click Edit before you activate the record.
There are two options to activate the recurring revenue record:
- Start with Payments - Available if you have a payment processor connected with Keela. You can enter the contact's credit card details and Keela will charge the card automatically according to the Billing Cycle on the record.
- Start without Payments - don't collect payment but log the revenue in Keela.
Activate without Payments
An info form will pop-up so you can review all your receipt information for the recurring revenue.
- Receipt Full Name and Address - If this information is included on the contact record, the information will be pulled from there. As this is a legal document, please ensure the information is correct prior to activating the recurring revenue.
- Receipt Settings
- Automatically create a single receipt for each transaction - the donor will receive a receipt for every revenue
- Automatically create an annual cumulative receipt at the end of the year - the donor will automatically receive a receipt at the end of the year with a summary of all transactions
- Do not create automated receipts - Keela will not create any receipts, but receipts can still be created manually
- Automatically send receipts to contact via emails - when receipts are created according to the receipt settings, whether or not you would like Keela to automatically email the contact a copy.
Click Save to activate the Recurring Revenue Record
Activate with Payments
Note: You must Integrate a Payment Processor before processing payments in Keela.
An info form will pop-up so you can review all your receipt information for the recurring revenue, as above.
Instead of clicking Save you will click Next to Review the record and Pay. Once reviewed, choose whether you will use Stripe or PayPal to process the payment.
(1) Payment Processing via Stripe
When you select Stripe a new window will pop up to enter credit card details. Once correct, click Pay to process the payment.
(2) Payment Processing via PayPal
PayPal will provide two options for processing payment.
- PayPal Account - to provide payment by logging into donors PayPal account. It's unlikely you'll have this information but PayPal will still provide this as an option.
- Debit or Credit Card - to enter the credit card details.
Once payment has been provided the record will automatically activate and the card will be charged and receipts generated according to the settings you established during the steps.
Your recurring revenue has now been logged! Congrats!