For any donations not received via a Keela Donation Form, you can use the Fundraising feature in Keela to log a donation, process payments and issue receipts.
A few examples of donations that you may want to log in Keela:
- Donations received via cheque or cash
- A donor calls in with their credit card details and you need to process the payment and log the donation on their behalf
- You received a donation through another system and would like a record in Keela
Need to log a recurring donation? Head on over to Log a Recurring Donation!
How to Log a Donation
You can start a donation log via the Contact Profile or Fundraising menu:
(1) From the Contact Profile
Select the Donor from your Contact Screen > Select the Fundraising Tab and Transactions.
If you've logged donations for this contact previously, you'll see a list of all transactions for that contact. Click Create New and Donation Transaction. If no donations were logged previously, the Create New button will be in the middle of the screen.
(2) From the Fundraising menu
Select Fundraising in the left menu > click Transactions > Create New > Donation Transaction
Whether you choose to add your donation from the contact profile or the fundraising tab, a form will appear to add your donation information:
- Contact - If logging from the Transaction Tab, you will be prompted to input a Contact.
- Gift Type - Money, In-Kind, or Securities. Note: the available 'Gift-Types' depends on the status of your organization in your country (e.g Registered Charity).
- Was the transaction converted from a different currency? - Check if yes. More details on accepting donations in a foreign currency here.
- Amount of Cash Contribution - The value of the donation received
- Date Received - When the donation was received by your organization (this date will be used for receipting)
- Did the Donor receive an Advantage? - Check if yes. More details on Advantages/Benefits here.
- Pledge - If this Donation is towards an existing Pledge, you link the Pledge here!
- Campaign - If the Donation was made in response to or in connection with a Campaign, select the Campaign.
- Impact Area - If the contact made a Donation towards any Impact Areas, select the Impact Area.
- Soft Credit - If the contact who made the Donation contributed in response to the efforts or influence of someone else, you can soft credit the donation to a contact in Keela, to acknowledge their role in the Donation.
- Source - Select a source if the contact who made the Donation came from a certain source (e.g. online via Keela, a corporation, from a fundraiser, etc.).
- Keywords - Any keyword related to the Donation for reporting.
- Dedication - If the Donation dedicated to someone, you can add their name here.
- Notes - Additional notes for the Donation.
- Receipt Options - Here you can indicate how you'd like to receipt this transaction. To learn more, check out this Knowledge Base article: Receipting Options.
- Full Name of Donor - Input the name of the donor as you'd like it to be receipted. If you are logging this transaction within a contact profile, this will be auto-filled.
- Full Address of Donor - Indicate the address of the donor for receipting. If you are logging this transaction within a contact profile, this will be auto-filled.
- Email Address - This will only be an option if you are sending the receipt via email. Be aware that the email indicated here, will automatically update the contact's primary email address.
Here you can indicate the payment method. For transactions you want to process through Keela, you can choose Online via Keela Pay, Online via Stripe or Online via PayPal. You will then be prompted to indicate the payment information. All other payment methods refer to offline payments.
Note: You must Integrate a Payment Processor before processing payments in Keela. If you choose an offline payment method, you will not be able to change this to an online payment method at a later time.
Click Save to create the donation record in Keela.
Payment via Keela Pay
To set up a payment via Keela Pay and log the payment there, you'll need to choose Online via Keela Pay as the payment method and then you'll get the screen to add the credit card details for Credit Card or to add the information for a Bank Transfer:
Logging a Donation with an Advantage/Benefit
Some jurisdictions require that you declare any advantages to the donor. For example, fundraising events such as luncheons, banquets or golf tournaments involve giving benefits to the donors. These benefits are known as advantages and must be taken into consideration when logging a donation and issuing a tax receipt.
If you add an advantage/benefit to your donation, Keela will prompt you to add the amount of the advantage and a description. These details will then be confirmed on the tax receipt.
Here is an example of a receipt with an Advantage/Benefit
Logging a Donation from a Foreign Currency
If you receive a donation from a foreign currency, you can add the details by checking the option Was the transaction converted from a different currency? while logging a donation. Once checked, you'll be prompted to add the original amount in the foreign currency and the original currency (CAD, USD, Yuan etc.)
These details will not be included on the tax receipt but will be available in the donation record for future reference.