For any donations not received via a Keela Donation Form, you can use the Fundraising feature in Keela to log a donation, process payments and issue receipts.
A few examples of donations that you may want to log in Keela:
- Donations received via cheque or cash
- A donor calls in with their credit card details and you need to process the payment and log the donation on their behalf
- You received a donation through another system and would like a record in Keela
Need to log a recurring donation? Head on over to Log a Recurring Donation!
How to Log a Donation
You can start a donation log via the Contact Profile or Fundraising menu:
(1) From the Contact Profile
Select the Donor from your Contact Screen > Select the Fundraising Tab and Transactions.
If you've logged donations for this contact previously, you'll see a list of all transactions for that contact. Click Create New and Donation Transaction. If no donations were logged previously, the Create New button will be in the middle of the screen.
(2) From the Fundraising menu
Select Fundraising in the left menu > click Transactions > Create New > Donation Transaction
Whether you choose to add your donation from the contact profile or the fundraising tab, a form will appear to add your donation information:
- Gift Type - Money, In-Kind, or Securities. Note: the available 'Gift-Types' depends on the status of your organization in your country (e.g Registered Charity).
- Total Amount of Gift - The value of the donation received
- Payment Method - Cash, Cheque/Check, Credit Card, Online, Online via Stripe, Online via PayPal, Other
- Date Received - When the donation was received
- Did the Donor receive an Advantage? - Check if yes. More details on Advantages/Benefits here.
- Was the transaction converted from a different currency? - Check if yes. More details on accepting donations in a foreign currency here.
- Pledge - If this Donation is towards an existing Pledge, you link the Pledge here!
- Campaign - If the Donation was made in response to or in connection with a Campaign, select the Campaign.
- Impact Area - If the contact made a Donation towards any Impact Areas, select the Impact Area.
- Soft Credit - If the contact who made the Donation contributed in response to the efforts or influence of someone else, you can soft credit the donation to a contact in Keela, to acknowledge their role in the Donation.
- Source - Select a source if the contact who made the Donation came from a certain source (e.g. online via Keela, a corporation, from a fundraiser, etc.).
- Keywords - Any keyword related to the Donation for reporting.
- Dedication - If the Donation dedicated to someone, you can add their name here.
- Notes - Additional notes for the Donation.
Click Save to create the donation record in Keela.
Logging a Donation with an Advantage/Benefit
Some jurisdictions require that you declare any advantages to the donor. For example, fundraising events such as luncheons, banquets or golf tournaments involve giving benefits to the donors. These benefits are known as advantages and must be taken into consideration when logging a donation and issuing a tax receipt.
If you add an advantage/benefit to your donation, Keela will prompt you to add the amount of the advantage and a description. These details will then be confirmed on the tax receipt.
Here is an example of a receipt with an Advantage/Benefit
Logging a Donation from a Foreign Currency
If you receive a donation from a foreign currency, you can add the details by checking the option Was the transaction converted from a different currency? while logging a donation. Once checked, you'll be prompted to add the original amount in the foreign currency and the original currency (CAD, USD, Yuan etc.)
These details will not be included on the tax receipt but will be available in the donation record for future reference.
Processing Payment for a Donation
After a donation has been logged, Keela will provide the option to process a payment for that record.
Note: You must Integrate a Payment Processor before processing payments in Keela.
On the Donation Record, select Make Payment > Enter the Receipt Information for the donation receipt > Click Next > Select Stripe or PayPal for the Payment Method
(1) Payment Processing via Stripe
When you select Stripe a new window will pop up to enter credit card details. Once correct, click Pay to process the payment
(2) Payment Processing via PayPal
PayPal will provide two options for processing payment
- PayPal Account - to provide payment by logging into donors PayPal account. It's unlikely you'll have this information but PayPal provides this option.
- Debit or Credit Card - to enter the credit card details
Note: Once payment has been processed, a donation receipt will be automatically created. The receipt will only be emailed to the contact automatically if this was selected during the Receipt Settings step.